[INTERVIEW] B1A4“opening a solo concert within the year is our goal”!

By Blogger Master Sabtu, 14 April 2012 0 comments
They are not boys. But even more so, there isn’t a manly scent coming from them. They are missing their lover during the transition period of turning into a man from a boy. This is the look of the idol group, B1A4, who has come back more fiercely with their first official full-length album, ‘IGNITION’.
The five members, who make a perfect stage with fantastic performances and singing abilities that are not shaky at all, are ordinary young, 20 year olds when they aren’t on stage. B1A4, who are honest and friendly, recently met up with our magazine at a road studio in Nonhyeon-dong and talked about their music story.
Their title song, ‘Baby I’m Sorry’, is a song where their leader, Jinyoung, personally participated in the writing, composing, and arranging of it. It has a strong trance rhythm along with a drumbeat bass sound as the base and it has a melody that will stay in your mind even if you listen to it once and stands out with Jinyoung’s own uniquely composed, touching lyrics.
And not only Jinyoung, but the other members such as Baro and CNU, also participated for the writing, composing, and arranging for 8 of the 11 songs from the album, showing their singer-songwriter aspects.




“When I first heard ‘Baby I’m Sorry’, it was really fresh and new. Because the song was good, I gained greed in wanting to make the stage even more perfectly. While listening to this song, I talked together with the members about the concept, how we’ll create the stage, and stage clothes. Since all the members participated in this, I feel more attached to it.” (Sandeul)

“If all of our past songs were to inform people of B1A4’s name, ‘Baby I’m Sorry’ is the beginning step in informing people of B1A4’s own colors. I think this is the album that will be the stepping stone in allowing us to go one step closer towards the audience.” (Gongchan)

“It’s been awhile since we made this song. I have been with Jinyoung for around 4 years, but ever since then, Jinyoung started learning composition. If you look at Jinyoung’s cellphone, there are over 300 melodies that he recorded. I think those constant efforts became the stepping stone in creating the title song. As a member of the same group, I’m quite proud.” (CNU)




“Because we’ve been with the members for a long time, we know what each of our personal tendencies are. I think that helped a lot in creating a title song that would fit B1A4 well. Because we showed a lot of fresh and cheerful images during our past albums, we wanted to show a matured and more developed side of B1A4 this time.” (Jinyoung)

Matching well with the nickname of ‘countryside-dols’, all of the B1A4 members are from the countryside, which is far from Seoul. What was the first meeting for these people like, united together with their different tendencies and charms?

“Before Gongchan came up (to Seoul), a representative from our company told us that there would be a good-looking kid from Soonchun, so I really anticipated it a lot. With a nervous heart, I was in the practice room when Gongchan opened the door and came in. Gongchan had the asymmetrical hairstyle, which was slightly popular at that time, and dark skin. Although I thought he looked similar to Kim Namgil-sshi, he wasn’t as good looking as I expected him to be.” (Baro)


“At first, CNU hyung had a very sophisticated look with a perm and a jacket on. As soon as I saw him, I thought ‘he’s really cool’. However, as time passed and as I got to know CNU hyung, his image started drifting farther away from what I first saw him as. I’ll just put that image up to your thoughts.” (Gongchan)
“I have a fun memory with Sandeul. Before I met Sandeul, I saw a video of him when he went out on a song festival. A representative from the company called me and said, “This kid came from Busan, but he has a tattoo on his arm and is a really scary kid. I picked him because he’s good at singing.” At that time, all the members believed this. But when we met him, there was a really innocent, laughing boy. We were tricked.” (CNU)

“Before going up to Seoul, I saw Jinyoung hyung for the first time through a video call and he was really good-looking. But he said that if I come up to Seoul, there will be someone even more good-looking than Jinyoung hyung. Sure enough, there was Gongchan behind Jinyoung hyung. I lost all my words. Truthfully, I was low in spirits because there were four good-looking people grouped together. During our first meeting, I sang in front of the members at our dorm and the reason I sang was to not let my spirits go low.” (Sandeul)




“As soon as I saw Baro, I thought that he looked similar to Park Haeil-sshi. And although his face is cute, he’s someone that likes hip-hop, so as soon as I saw him, I had a feeling of, ‘He’ll probably be the rapper.’” (Jinyoung)

CNU currently appears as Shinwoo, the idol of female students at his school in the KBS2 daily sitcom, ‘I Need a Fairy’, but he only looks at Cha Nara (played by Woori). 

With his sturdy acting abilities and speaking tone, CNU plays his character well and he successfully set his first foot out towards being an actor while capturing the hearts of noonas.
“Since it’s my first time acting, I had worries in needing to do well and because I needed to inform people of our team and show a more developed side of myself, I was really worried. However, because I’m the youngest and since it’s my first time acting, all the seniors treat me warmly on set as if they were treating a younger sibling. So I can now enjoy filming without any worries.” (CNU)


Whenever CNU comes to the loud dorm after being at quiet filmings, he thinks, ‘B1A4 is really one’. He explained that even when they are separated for a short amount of time due to filming, he feels really empty and misses the members.
“Whenever CNU hyung returns from filming, he holds us back and talks to us. Saying, ‘I really feel like we’re one’. That’s why I could feel that hyung really loves us.” (Sandeul)
After revealing their debut album, ‘Let’s Fly’, in April of last year, they waited a short term before releasing another new song. I asked if they feel tired with their busy schedules, but all five of the members shook their heads instead.
“Although the break time was shorter compared to other groups, even that time feels long to us. Whenever we would watch music program while resting, we want to hurry and go on stage to show the public our side.” (Jinyoung)

“I think resting is harder for us. I got in trouble because I wanted to promote even while preparing for the full-length album.” (Baro)
To finish up, I listened to B1A4’s goals and hopes.
“Our goal is to get 1st place on a music program with our song. We’ll work harder in promoting and make that goal come true.” (CNU)

“There are solo songs for Baro and I in this album. Through this, we plan to show B1A4’s personal capabilities.” (Sandeul)

“There is a goal that all of the B1A4 members want to make come true. And that is tp have a concert under our name. It’s something that each of us really dreamed about even prior to debuting. In order to do that, we need to really work hard for this album’s promotions.” (Baro)

B1A4, who gave off a lively and healthy atmosphere during the entire interview. I look forward to see these five young males, who are bright and honest, place their goals one by one onto a white canvas and grow into an idol group that represents Korea.


trans. cr; hyejin @ b1a4trans
Source cr; herald economy
Sharing is sexy

Related posts

0 komentar for this post

Leave a reply