Know more about Rising Star Dia Frampton!

By Blogger Master Senin, 19 Maret 2012 0 comments




Dia Frampton, runner up from Season 1 of a reality TV show called "The Voice," had a behind the scenes chat with us the other day.  This Hapa, (half-white, half-Korean) singer/songwriter took a moment to talk to us about life on the road and how much her life has changed since "The Voice."
What were you doing a year from today, and how has your life changed since The Voice?
A year from today I was working in a cupcake shop called Crumbs in New York City.  I was 24 years old and about ready to give up on music.  I started my first band when I was 14 and worked my way up from there.  At first I played shows in garages, bars, house parties, and small local venues.  My sister Meg and I started a few different bands over time.  A band we started, called "Meg and Dia," got signed to a major label but then got dropped shortly after.  After that, we kept on working, not wanting to give up.  We took what little  money we had left over from years of touring on the road and used it to record a new album.  We couldn't afford a studio, so we recorded it in my mom's house.  We didn't know how to promote it though, and it didn't sell very well.  Meg got a job at a jewelry shop and I got a job at the cupcake shop.  Then a friend called me up and said that I should try out for "The Voice." I thought, well, what have I got to lose? 



For those of us who don't know you, can you tell us about yourself?  What are three random things about you?  
Yes! I am a singer songwriter from Utah!  Hmmm...three random things.  I love dancing.  I used to take break dance and hip hop and jazz classes when I was younger. I love to read.  I was always the kid in school that finished the class book assigned for the month within 3 days.  I always have my nose in a book.  I love to travel!  I've been to South Korea, Germany, Thailand, Switzerland, London, Scotland, Canada, and Mexico and my goal is to travel the world!  
When did you first discover that you loved music?
I started singing around the age of nine.  It was almost contagious.  One day I was sitting listening to my dad's old record player, and then he brought me a present.  I opened it and it was a Leann Rimes CD.  My dad said, "She's not much older than you, and she has her own record!"  I thought it was so crazy that a little girl could sing that well.  I started singing her songs first.  
The Voice aired in South Korea.  What did your Korean relatives think when they saw you on TV?  
My Grandma freaked out and called my mom and said, "I am watching Dia on TV right now at the piano!  She has grown so much!"  Haha.  It's kind of crazy to think of my cousins watching me on TV.
What was it like working with country music superstar, Blake Shelton?  
It has been absolutely amazing.  He is such an inspirational person to be around!  He has helped me so much and right now I'm currently on tour with him!  It's been incredible to perform for 8,000 people a night!  He also sang on my record on a song called, "I will."  It's a song I wrote about how much he's inspired me, and given life to my dream again.  
Your album, "RED," came out last December.  What was it like writing for the album?  What are your favorite songs off the record?
Right after "The Voice" ended, I began writing for "RED."  I got to work with some amazing writers and producers, including Mark Foster from Foster the People, Isabella Summers from Florence and the Machine, and Dave Harris, John Mayor's guitar player.  A couple of my favorite songs off the record are, "Don't kick the chair," "Broken ones," and "Billy the kid."  



You are half Korean.  Do you speak Korean and have you visited Korea before?  
I speak very little Korean although I have been trying to learn lately.  Everyday after a show I study Korean for an hour or as long as I can get in before we take off for the next city!  I have visited Seoul before, where my mom was born and raised, and it is an amazing city!  The people there are very kind and very sweet. 
Can you cook Korean food?
Yes I can!  I make bibimbap and Sundubu jigae.  My mom also taught me how to make kimchi and cucumber kimchi.  My mom is an amazing cook and makes delicious Korean dishes.  Each time I'm home from  tour she teaches me something new.  
Would you ever like to perform in Korea? 
Oh my goodness, yes!  That way my Grandma could watch me sing in real life and not on a TV screen!  It would be a dream to sing in my mom's hometown, Seoul.  



If you could collaborate with any K-POP artists, who would it be and why?
There are a lot of bands I would love to collaborate with.  It would be fun to do a song with 2NE1 or Wonder Girls, although they are way better dancers than I am and I would probably just look stupid dancing next to them! Ha.  I would really like to do a song with Big Bang too.  I've enjoyed being turned on to the K-POP world.  It's all my cousins listen to.  I did a cover of a Wonder Girls song as well the other day on tour.  You can listen to it here: 



Know more about Dia Frampton:

Sharing is sexy

Related posts

0 komentar for this post

Leave a reply